Thursday, June 21, 2012

A long overdue update d'Italia

On a planet at which a day consists of 100 hours instead of 24, I would have blogged regularly in real time about my incredible journeys. Alas, this is not the case.


Ma - buona fortuna! Non ho dimenticato tutto.

My three weeks in Urbania certainly deserves detailed recount, but that could fill a week of intense blogging. Glimpses of Urbania will undoubtedly pop up in my posts; those people and that town is dear to me.


Per esempio: I remember one of my first couple of days there. I had a moment (one of many really) of a certain variety I call ‘crispness’. Vision legitimately seems better; the air is clear; the edges of trees and signs are sharp; surrounding sounds are not muffled. A sort of "ah ha" weird experiential thing. I can't control it, but for it I am ever-appreciative. Those times allow me to soak it all in: the shapes, smells, sounds, shades of pink and gray and blue in the cool and calm dusk on my walk home. I saw people sitting and sipping vino o caffĂ©. Others were heading home too. I could hear talking near the doors of some places. Some sat out on their porches and just watched, sitting with their dogs. No one really ever seemed to be in a hurry there, at least not in the early evening.  

The weather was fabulous; I was actually cold the first few nights and had to learn the word for blanket (coperta). I think the first word I recall learning with my host family was spazzatura (trash can). There are a ton of useful words that fall through the cracks of class Italian. But also, a bunch of vocabulary I thought was way beyond me or not useful came in handy so many times. I was able to discuss social and economic issues with Armando the bus/taxi driver. He was one of my favorite people. The guy freaking punked me in italiano about seeing a golden eagle during one of our bird walks.
Allora, I have now graduated from buses to trains in my travels. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it! 3 trains later... 

I love utilizing the rail system, but the stations are stressful. The trains are peace, contemplation, scenery, (for the most part) security. The stations have beggars, confusion, rush, odor, (at least the feeing of) danger. These two are separated by a mere staircase, or sometimes no more than a threshold. But at the end of the ride you are forced to re-enter the chaos. You must pass through; there is no alternative way out. And then a different type of confusion hits. I entered Pisa a few days ago with just a few lines of directions on a screenshot of an email on how to find my hotel. There's no getting lost in this type of travel; you start lost and move toward understanding, or you fumble around clumsily with hopes of good luck.

How odd that is. To begin in a solitary, lost state of being. We come into life without a clue, helpless, tiny. But not lost, for at birth, there is no hurry to understand. Our surroundings are unimportant and there is nowhere to be. Some cases are more unfortunate, but for the most part, someone or many people are present right at the start to assure our well being. In traveling solo (sola in italiano), I have no human caregivers, no people hovering to attend to my every need. I have an overly heavy suitcase, a bit of money, a small understanding of italiano, and a wee bit of courage.

Sometimes, I'm given a map. How empowering that semi-glossy foldout can be! It’s the same when I find the dot signifying my current position on a big public map, especially after wandering around a city. With a map I sometimes gain renewed confidence. This from just an idea of location!

How important is location? Does it define us? Constrain us? Is it exhilarating or terrifying to lose your sense of it? Or both?
My current location? 
I'd say motion.
Locomotion? Locomotive?
Train? Training?
Training for what? 

It’s a bizarre feeling to have (practically) no responsibility, no schedule, and nowhere to be. If I attempt to think back to the last time that happened... I enter time warp. 

Before this there was Urbania: amazing, but busy with school and trips.
Before Urbania: home, but also moving out of my apt, packing, and seeing lots of family.
Before Salem/Fay: school and Ozone and Ozone and school. Even Christmas break was highly structured due to familial obligations, Hogwild, and Ozone whatnots.
Before junior year: camp, all summer except 2 weeks spent at national convention in CO.
Before that (2011) summer: school and band and school and school. Limited Christmas break freedom due to traveling and such.
Before sophomore year: Camp all summer except for a weekend spent in KY and a bit over a week in Salem cramming in every ounce of family time, cleaning, packing.
Before that (2010) summer: school and school and band and school. I don’t even remember Christmas break for freshman year... So perhaps I had time then. 
Before freshman year: INSANE summer of DLA, LIT-ing, CA for national FBLA competition, and prepping for college.
Before that (2009) summer: the non-stop jam-packed schedule of high school with band and clubs and schoolwork and several sports.

So.... yeah. It’s been a while. 
I wander down the streets of these gorgeous Italian cities with very little, if any, aim. 
I don’t have anyone for conversation. And it’s been sweet.

I can choose to get by on loneliness, or I can rejoice in intimacy with the Spirit, One that will never abandon me. One that has no language barriers. One that loves more than I can comprehend.

For now, I have no hope of human companionship for a few glorious days. 
So I will continue to wander, continue to pray, and continue to praise Him for all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment