Saturday, June 2, 2012

Italia cominca!

Written May 29, 2012 (delay posting; forgive me)

a view of Urbania

A new experience is like having a child. 
It’s simultaneously 
challenging,
invigorating,
exhausting,
totally worth it.

Babies may cry constantly and do nothing but eat and poop, but they are beautiful. A baby is life at its most delicate and gentile state; a baby is a novel soul and a needy body. One must nurture it, attend to it, appreciate it, and at utmost - love it. 

The above mentioned at least somewhat approximates my feelings on new experiences. I’m smack dab in the middle of what is arguably my biggest so far, and it’s incredible. 

No, it isn’t mind-blowingly awesome just because it’s Italia. Sheesh, what a copout, amiright? Sure, people do come here for the good times, ridiculous food, and fine yet affordable wine at literally every caffè (which is synonymous with bar, but not in a raunchy American way). This time is awesome because it’s a departure from norm. Many people that know me have heard me say “I believe in drastic change.” It’s healthy to be ripped out of comfort and routine and monotony and safety; it’s glorious to depend fully on the Father in times of complete uncertainty and lostness. It’s certainly not an easy endeavor, but it pays dividends. 

For me? Sì, sono in Italia! 
I am living with a tremendously nice host family, signori Lucerna. I have my own tiny apartment thing separate but connected to the family; I have a kitchen(non-working sadly)/living room open area, a small bathroom, and a bedroom. It’s simple and presh beyond belief. The family speaks very little English, which is excellent for me!

Since I don’t live with other students, lack interwebz, and have yet to acquire a communication device, I am alone quite a bit when not in class. The Millikin people are very cool, and it would be sweet to get to know them better. But alone is good too. It’s another departure from my traditional over-connected, over-socially saturated lifestyle. America also moves so quickly. Things here are in a slower fashion; people go for relaxing strolls (“fare due [o quattro] passi” is the colloquial term), and old retired men hang out at the town center for many hours a day. It’s really awesome. I can feel myself take on their mentality. I find myself eating slower, basking in the natural beauty of the countryside, sitting in purposeful silence for contemplation and reading. These sadly get largely overlooked during my crazy American schedule. 

The classes I’m taking are fantastic. Today we went on a seriously impressively gorgeous 3-hour hike to look for birds and experience Italian nature for the Biology of Birds class. I took so many pictures, but none of them do the place justice. That kind of beauty cannot be captured, simple as that. My Italian conversation private lessons are somewhat challenging but so applicable. My Futurism, Fascism, and 20th Century Electro-Acoustic Music class is one of the most interesting courses I’ve taken so far. We are going to build some legit noisemakers and perform in their style at the end. 

another view of Urbania

UPDATE --> June 2, 2012

I have since found interwebz for home, which is convenient, and acquired a cheap cell phone. Want to text me? Facile! Tweet at me: @stephmac19

I have gone on another glorious nature walk with my bird class and will post pics to Facebook soon. Soooooo much beauty here. I think I might drown in it. 

Oh, and gelato is as good as everyone says. 

No comments:

Post a Comment