Saturday, February 28, 2015

All around [a poem]

In the news
it daily reigns
as head counts and headlines, 
as fact and horror.
Casual mentions transform 
entire lives into fleeting radio waves.

In my dreams
the impossible manifests
as partially-laden buses careens into the ocean
jarring me awake in a sweat. 
I wake surrounded by a darkness
more felt than seen.

In our neighborhood
we give thanks for the life of
and pass the dingy emptiness 
of a porch no longer used.
The shadow of souls I never knew 
nest mysteriously in the crevices of my brain.

In the stories
my girls share
details draped in nonchalance
as they speak of guns and jail. 
The 12-year-old begged to go to the party
where her cousin shot that man.

In our futures
it is coming
for heavy-laden and free alike
to relieve this exhausted flesh.
I fight to live in the here and now
while it preys relentlessly on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment